Sunday, October 01, 2006

Coney Island


I rode my bike to Coney Island this afternoon to enjoy some nice sweater beach weather, do some reading and make some drawings. I've never had much success with drawing a landscape, I never quite know where to put the lines and shapes. I think I also have trouble finding the more important lines that will communicate the scene. Above is my first attempt which made me somewhat discouraged. I decided to stop and read my book, The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil by George Saunders.

This is my second attempt. I'm a bit more pleased with this one but still not too happy or confident when in comes to scenic drawings. Looking at it now I think having a foreground, middle ground and background is important. Then working in more detail in the foreground and less in the middle and background. The thing I couldn't figure out was how to draw the ground. It was basically a sandy beach so I guess I could have drawn little hills and whatnot in the sand. I ran out of energy for this drawing pretty quickly and I really wish I had stuck with it, this one actually could have turned out nice.

So I'll keep forcing myself to draw pictures with a horizon line.
-peter-

No comments: